Loneliness may be deadly for seniors
What are the issues and challenges?
The problem is when loneliness persists for a long period of time. And when it is chronic, then we enter into a chronic stress state. And that is what has dramatically consequential impacts on our health.
- Vivek Murthy, Author of Together: The Healing Power of Human Connection in a Sometimes Lonely World
- The rising suicide rate among seniors strongly correlates with the rise in seniors who live alone.
- In 2000, 79 seniors aged 60 and above committed suicide in Singapore. In 2020, this number almost doubled to 154 1
- In that same time, the number of seniors who live alone has quadrupled. 2
- Many seniors face loneliness from the loss of social networks due to the retirement and death of friends and loved ones.
- A loss of mobility due to age and chronic illness can cause further problems in meeting other people.
What you can do?
You can help make a difference!
MWS reaches out to isolated seniors in several parts of Singapore through befriending. Sign up
to be a befriender today!